© BlueSkyImages - Fotolia.com

© BlueSkyImages – Fotolia.com

Are you ashamed by your puffy chest or nipples? If the New Year finds you at the gym surrounded by men with toned pecs and abs, you may be feeling self-conscious and wonder if your “man boobs” will go away after you start to lose weight and get fit. The answer may not be as straightforward as you think.

It all depends on whether your enlarged male breasts are due to true gynecomastia (a medical condition  stemming from a hormonal imbalance) or to pseudogynecomastia (which can be resolved by losing weight).

What is Gynecomastia?

Gynecomastia refers to overly large breasts in men. Enlarged male breasts can develop due to one of the following causes:

  • True gynecomastia, which is usually caused by hormonal imbalances that cause breast tissue to form permanently.
  • Pseudogynecomastia, which is caused by obesity, and occurs when excessive fatty tissue forms in the chest.

The final verdict: Pseudogynecomastia can disappear through lifestyle modification, while true gynecomastia typically must be treated with surgery.

Spotting the Difference

It can be difficult to tell if your gynecomastia is caused by fatty tissue or breast gland tissue, since both causes present with the same symptoms. Therefore, it is a good idea to speak with a doctor about your particular case. You can get an expert medical assessment of your condition as well as options for treatment.

Of course, you can also see if the condition goes away with diet and exercise. If so, you will know you had pseudogynecomastia, and no further treatment should be necessary. If, however, your chest does not shrink in proportion to the rest of your body, you may require surgical treatment to correct the problem.

Treating Your Gynecomastia or Pseudogynecomastia

While pseudogynecomastia can be resolved through diet and exercise, the chest is often best resolved through liposuction. True gynecomastia requires excision of male breast tissue as well as liposuction, and must be performed by an experienced surgeon, preferably one that specializes in gynecomastia surgery.

For more information on the procedure, associated costs, and more, contact our NY gynecomastia specialists in New York City or Long Island to schedule your complimentary consultation.