Our Surgeons Discuss Surgical Treatments for Gynecomastia
In our gynecomastia New York surgical centers, our Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Team uses several different surgical solutions to address male breast enlargement for his male patients. Since many of these men come to him with tall tales of having tried creams, pills, exercises, herbal concoctions, massages (and the list goes on and on)…he is always pleased to offer these patients a permanent fix for their, ahem, “man boobs”.
So, what’s so special about gynecomastia surgery? Just get the extra tissue out of there, right? Wrong! There are a few factors that an experienced gynecomastia surgeon will explore before making the decision about which surgical solution is right for each patient.
Those Factors Include:
- How much, if at all, do the breasts hang over?
- Are nipples misshapen (very large or asymmetrical)?
- Is there too much glandular tissue under the nipples?
- Is there an excess of fatty tissue in the breasts?
- Are the breasts different sizes?
- Does the patient have an underlying medical condition that would cause the gynecomastia to return as soon as surgery is completed?
Experience Counts! Choose a Gynecomastia Surgeon.
When it comes to this condition, you want a gynecomastia NYC surgeon who has “been there, done that”. Experience in treating the symptoms of gynecomastia (breast tissue growth) as well as understanding the underlying causes is vital. A skilled scalpel can only take you so far when it comes to missing a serious medical condition and experiencing post-operative return of gynecomastia.
Breast growth in teens and men is usually caused by a hormonal imbalance between estrogen and testosterone. When too much estrogen is present in the body, the male breasts can grow larger than they are supposed to.
Other causes of gynecomastia include illicit drug use, certain prescription medications, and the use of anabolic steroids in bodybuilders.
What is Gynecomastia Surgery? Types of Surgical Treatments:
- Laser-assisted tumescent liposuction. SmartLipo is our Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Team's preferred laser-assisted fat removal method for instantly and permanently ridding the breasts of extra fat from gynecomastia. This method also works for men with “pseudogynecomastia” caused by being overweight.
- Manual excision of breast gland tissue. In this type of procedure, our gynecomastia New York surgeons gently and thoroughly remove just enough breast gland tissue to re-create a normal nipple profile. They use discreetly placed incisions that won’t be noticed!
- Skin reduction or nipple reduction. When more than fatty tissue or glands are involved, reducing the skin and/or nipples results in a tight breast with a normal profile. Incisions are placed under the breast and around the nipple for minimal scarring.